A Guide to Lingerie Capsule Wardrobe
A capsule wardrobe can make your life so much easier by covering all your basic needs, giving you ample variety, and allowing you not to give in to the urge to buy what you don’t need. This is why many women create a capsule wardrobe every year to be more efficient and sustainable.
And so this post will cover capsule wardrobe for women's lingerie! Yes, your bras and panties are a crucial part of your wardrobe, so it’s best to sort them out as well, along with other clothing items, bags, and shoes.
Let’s start with what is a lingerie capsule wardrobe. It’s a collection of essential lingerie you can use for both daily wear as well as special occasions or specific needs like yoga or running.
It allows you to have undergarments for every outfit. You won’t ever run out of lingerie choices (unless you forget to have a laundry day). And most importantly, you’ll keep your consumption and carbon footprint in check by not spending extra on underwear that you don’t even wear.
Sustainability is Key
As you can probably guess by now, sustainability is a major theme of having a capsule wardrobe. When we say sustainable closet, we don’t just mean essentials, but also the materials themselves should be sustainable.
For lingerie, that would mean going for sustainable fabrics like cotton, hemp, or recycled synthetic fabrics.
Also, it’s important to buy from brands that follow ethical sourcing and manufacturing practices, i.e., paying a fair living wage, no gender pay gaps, least environmental impact, and no use of child labor.
Lingerie Essentials for Your Capsule Wardrobe
While needs can differ from person to person, some of the basics remain the same for all. So there are some essential pieces you may want in your closet.
Here are six lingerie essentials to have in your capsule wardrobe:
- Neutral Bras: Your basic black, white, and skin-toned bras are the neutral bras, which you’ll wear most of the time. These can work with a variety of clothes, from oversized t-shirts to bodycon dresses. There are many varieties in terms of material and style, so go with the ones you prefer.
- Plunge Bras: One or two plunge bras can be great, especially if you wear a lot of low-cut necklines. Keep the colours basic, like skin-toned or black, so you can wear them with different outfits easily.
- Sports Bras: Sports bras are simply the most comfortable and versatile. You don’t have to be an athlete to appreciate their functionality.
- Multifunctional Bras: These bras usually have detachable straps, so you can also wear them as strapless bras. This is better than buying strapless bras separately.
- Panties: Of course, panties are a must as they are the go-to underwear for the majority of women. Keep some variety of fabrics like cotton, lace, and some synthetic ones and stick to the same colours as your bras so you can mix and match easily.
- Briefs: Briefs are also quite comfortable and provide more coverage than panties. These can be great for fitness activities.
How Many Lingerie Pieces Do You Need for a Capsule Wardrobe?
Well, that depends on you and your use mostly, but generally speaking, 5 bras and 15 pairs of panties should be fine to last at least six months before you need to buy something.
Having a capsule wardrobe essentials list like the one for lingerie can make it easier to sort what you already have and what you need to buy.
Feeling inspired? Check out the sustainable So.Me range on our Shop page.